Prepared to Lose Your Glasses? 10 pointers for choosing a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is among the fastest developing fields of medicine. Never prior to have many clinical advancements and new strategies emerged in such a short amount of time. LASIK surgery, which utilizes an excimer laser to reshape the cornea, uses countless people the chance to decrease or eliminate their requirement for glasses or contacts .
Television and radio advertisements are filled with remarkable stories about LASIK surgery as the pain-free and fast method to correct vision, however stories are also appearing about people for whom it was less than effective. Before you decide to go under the beam, what can you do to assist guarantee that you will be happy with your outcomes?
The key to safe surgical treatment in any field of medicine is an educated client. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a national study by Ophthalmology Times, uses the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Discover a doctor by getting recommendations from other medical professionals or from patients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Don't be tricked by elegant ads about a particular laser center. Select the medical professional, not the laser center. Discover out who will actually do your procedure, then inquire about that medical professional's certifications (e.g., board accreditation, unique training).
3. Choose a physician who has done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. Exactly what a medical professional doesn't know can hurt you.
4. Request for information on your doctor's LASIK eye surgery complication rates. If your physician won't tell you, discover another one. For leading cosmetic surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
Ask what procedures are taken to avoid infection. Insist that your eye is thoroughly decontaminated, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be disinfected before your eye laser surgical treatment to get rid of the threat of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
Beware of ads pressing "low cost" LASIK surgical navigate to this site treatment. Discount surgical treatment is as excellent as a discount rate parachute.
7. Anticipate to see effectively after LASIK, but don't anticipate additional reading to see completely. Each client gets a somewhat different result. The best surgeon on the planet can't ensure 20/20 vision. As with any eye laser surgical treatment, outcomes are as specific as each patient. Be careful of any physician who promises 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a difficult sell, you probably are. You're not buying a vehicle; this is real LASIK eye surgery.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will probably use much better vision than LASIK. Ask your medical professional about them and other current advances.
10. While you investigate, do not forget the benefits: for the majority of people, a life time of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has actually enhanced the vision of millions of people around the globe.